Date:      Thu, 18 Oct 2001 18:03:22 +0200
From:      Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@starjuice.net>
To:        Dan Nelson <dnelson@allantgroup.com>
Cc:        setantae <setantae@submonkey.net>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Directory entries won't shrink

On Thu, 18 Oct 2001 10:56:56 EST, Dan Nelson wrote:

> > Okay, so if this is a split spool directory for an MTA, I'm screwed. :-)
>
> Just wait for the files to get delivered (or bounce) and the directory
> will shrink.

What makes you say that?  The directory is

	/var/spool/exim-mailman/input

It contains 64 entries (excluding . and ..), each being the name of
another directory.

Touching a file in this directory iand then syncing does not cause it
to shrink.  Which makes sense, since you said the directory will never
shrink if the last block is occupied by a used entry.

So to shrink this directory, I have to shut down the entire mail system,
move the 64 entries into a new directory and replace the existing
directory with the new one.

This comes as quite a surprise. :-)

Ciao,
Sheldon.