Date:      Wed, 06 Jun 2001 23:37:23 -0500
From:      "G. Adam Stanislav" <adam@whizkidtech.net>
To:        Udo Erdelhoff <ue@nathan.ruhr.de>, freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Assembly language tutorial

At 22:10 06-06-2001 +0200, Udo Erdelhoff wrote:
>Why do you use the full-fledged variant of creating links to manual pages?

Because it's easier for me, while DocBook does not care.

>And the formatting and indentation needed a couple pats with a hammer,
>please take a look at chapter 10.1 of the FDP primer. The URL is
>http://www.freeBSD.org/tutorials/docproj-primer/writing-style.html#AEN2973

As I said before, I originally wrote it as a tutorial for my web
site. I used hed, a tool of my design that prevents me from making
stupid HTML errors. It also cuts out all white space that HTML does
not need, which makes it smaller and, thus, faster to transmit.

That means I cannot add indentation to the output (I do have
indentation in my source code). I only can force it to add extra
line feeds.

>I've already fixed the formatting and indentation (suppe plus some manual
>fixes) as well as the citerefentry stuff.

What's wrong with the citerefentry? Any changes you make to my sgml
(which is produced by software, not by hand) will mean that whenever
I make a small change, such as correcting a spelling error, the diff
will be bigger than the file itself.

Why does it *have to* be indented a certain way? No one reads the sgml,
do they? Only the HTML, etc, produced by it.

I have just spent two days writing a brief article using direct
sgml and the style you like. I made a ton of errors such as
<emphasis>blah</empahsis> (not the misspelling of the closing
tag). I cannot make these errors in my own language, where I use
brief variables. E.g., $emp(blah) will be automatically converted
into <emphasis>blah</emphasis> when producing the sgml output,
and to <i>blah</i> when producing the HTML output.

If there is a filter that can reformat the sgml output on the
fly (like tidy does for HTML), I am willing to use it, but
other than that I am not about to reformat it by hand every time
I change something.

> I've put a snapshot online at
>http://people.freebsd.org/~ue/x86-snapshot.sgml for fruther review.

Well, this is what it looks like:

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /~ue/x86-snapshot.sgml
on this server.

Adam

---
http://phonecowboy.com/registrar/twist/ finds a good domain for you