Date:      Fri, 9 Mar 2001 21:14:36 -0600
From:      Andrew Hesford <ajh3@chmod.ath.cx>
To:        "G. Jason Middleton" <gmiddl1@gl.umbc.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: NAT without a firewall.

Well, you don't need a physical firewall, if that's what you're asking.
However, you do need ipfirewall built into your kernel.

Just starting natd will do nothing, because packets won't go looking for
it on port 8668 if they aren't told to. Therefore, you need to use ipfw
to establish a rule to divert all packets to port 8668 (aliased to
'natd' in /etc/services) as they come in on an interface.

This is accomplished by adding the following rule:

ipfw add divert natd ip from any to any

--
Andrew Hesford
ajh3@chmod.ath.cx