Date:      Sun, 6 Jan 2002 07:35:33 +0100
From:      Cliff Sarginson <cliff@raggedclown.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: The BSD daemon

On Sat, Jan 05, 2002 at 02:47:32PM -0500, dochawk@psu.edu wrote:
> Oliver orated,
>

> > And by the way, it isn't "his".  According to Kirk, it
> > is neither male nor female.  I don't know why people keep
> > thinking it's a male.  There's nothing that supports that
> > assumption.  ;-)

Mmm, try speaking Dutch.
A company is referred to as "she"
A train as "he"..
etc..
The problem is that there are (used to be) in languages
male, female and neutral nouns. The mistake is to think
these designations have anything to do with gender, they
often do not. They are technical grammatical terms.

Dutch used to have male/female/neuter nouns. The male/female
ones got rolled into one. So there are two words in Dutch
for "the" .. "de" and "het". "De" usually being for what used
to be feminine/masculine nouns, "het" for the others.

There are some arcane rules for working out whether a "de"
or "het" should be used, one of the most interesting is that
Dutch makes a great use of diminutives, by adding "tje" or
"je" to the end of a noun it makes the object "smaller", or
cuter :). Sometimes however it makes it a completely different
word altogether, e.g. "telefoon" = "telephone" but a "telefoontje"
which should mean "a small telephone" means in fact "a telephone call".
Now all diminutives are "het" words, even if what they make
diminutive is a "de" word.

So the masculine feminine neuter thing is all nonsense when you
see the word "het meisje", since the -je, makes it a diminutive
it has to take the neutral "the" which is "het".
A "meisje" is a young girl.

:)

I even had a question about FreeBSD but I have forgotten what it
was now..

--
Regards
Cliff