Date:      Fri, 12 Apr 2002 09:03:56 -0500
From:      Doug Lee <dgl@visi.com>
To:        Casey Scott <casey@nixfusion.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Create times

On Fri, Apr 12, 2002 at 08:56:14AM -0500, Casey Scott wrote:
>     How can I get the create time of files? Doesn't the FBSD filesystem
> record such information? If the answer is in the man pages, I can't find it.

ls -cl  is the closest there is.  That reports the time the file status
last changed.  File status is changed by things like chmod, chown, and
chgrp, which modify the inode rather than the file; but if no such
commands have been applied to the file, the date shown should be the
creation date.

--
Doug Lee
dgl@visi.com