Date:      Fri, 13 Apr 2001 21:44:50 -0500
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        Ben Smithurst <ben@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Kal Torak <kaltorak@quake.com.au>, FreeBSD-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Creating EXACT image of a CD

Ben Smithurst writes:
> Kal Torak wrote:
>
> > I want to create exact ISO images of CD's...
> > Like create the file system using the exact same file names and
> > structure, not just copying the data... If there are null sectors on
> > the CD or something then I want them to be part of the image...
> >
> > So yeah basically an exact image of it :)
> >
> > Anyway what tools for FreeBSD can I use to do this? with certain
> > options to mkisofs can it be done? or using dd or something?
>
> yeah, you should just be able to use dd.
>
> dd if=/dev/cdrom of=exact-image.iso bs=2k
>
> other block sizes may work too, you could experiment.  I think with data
> CDs it has to be a multiple of 2k, couldn't swear to that though.

If its a multisession CD dd may not do it right. Would expect cdrdao
knows how to read the CD and extract each session correctly. Would be
nice if cdrdao knew FreeBSD's ATA/IDE CD driver, otherwise SCSI is the
small price one pays to be able to use cdrdao on FreeBSD.

Had a Philips 804 CD-RW ATA drive which read cd's one block short using
dd. Didn't seem to matter as the image still mounted and worked
correctly when attached via vn(4) and vnconfig(8) but otherwise failed
my attempt to verify after write. Sony STA CD-RW read the full disc, as
does my HP SCSI CD-RW.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@hiwaay.net