Date:      Sat, 13 Jan 2001 15:20:58 -0800
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjclark@reflexnet.net>
To:        Ryan Ferreri <ferreri.6@osu.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: building custom kernel

On Sat, Jan 13, 2001 at 06:04:16PM -0500, Ryan Ferreri wrote:
> Hey I'm trying to build this kernel and I'm pretty new to this. When I do a make depend I get: don't know how to make depend Stop.

It sounds like you are not changing to the correct directory after you
do the config(8) (assuming the config did finish successfully). If you
think you are doing it correctly, please post exactly what is going
on. Try using script(1) to catch what you type and the output you get
back for the config and make steps.