Date:      Tue, 2 Feb 1999 11:15:09 +0200 (SAT)
From:      Robert Nordier <rnordier@nordier.com>
To:        ticso@cicely.de (Bernd Walter)
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Dual console don't work

Bernd Walter wrote:

> I use -h -D in /boot.config
> Today I wanted to boot with monitor and keyboard.
> All I got was the first stage of the news boot loader on vga and seriel.
> The prompt itself goes only on seriel so there wasn't a chance to switch
> the console back to vga without a terminal.

This is deliberate, FWIW.  The old bootblocks privately define
RB_DUAL, and you won't find it in <sys/reboot.h> with the other
flags like RB_SINGLE, RB_SERIAL, etc.

For compatibility, the new bootblocks honor the -D option, as far
as their own behavior goes.  But they don't pass RB_DUAL, as one
of the "howto" flags, on to either the kernel or /boot/loader.

So -D is preserved only as a backward-compatibility option (and
therefore applies only to stage two of the bootstrap), and /boot/loader
knows nothing about it.

--
Robert Nordier