Date:      Wed, 12 Apr 2000 20:55:55 -0400
From:      "Thomas M. Sommers" <tms2@mail.ptd.net>
To:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: BSDCon East

John Baldwin wrote:

> >> *Does* Fowler agree?  Me, I doubt it!
> >
> > Fowler gives the following example of a desirable split infinitive:
> > "Our object is to further cement trade relations".
> >
> > Any rearrangement would give a wrong or ambiguous meaning.
>
> Our object is to cement trade relations further.
>
> There, what's ambiguous about that? :)

"It does not add to a writer's readableness if readers are pulled up now
and again to wonder--Why this distortion?  Ah, to be sure, a non-split
die-hard." Fowler, p. 580.

Fowler splits the English-speaking world into 5 groups, the first of
which includes those who neither know nor care what a split infinitive
is.  Of this group he says: "Those who neither know nor care are the
vast majority, and are a happy folk, to be envied by most of the
minority classes.  'To really understand' comes readier to their lips
and pens than 'really to understand'; they see no reason why they should
not say it (small blame to them, seeing that reasons are not their
critics' strong point), and they do say it, to the discomfort of some
among us, but not to their own."