Date:      Tue, 20 Jun 2000 12:33:21 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        Jason Evans <jasone@canonware.com>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP: Destabilization due to SMP development

In message <20000619115330.D79318@blitz.canonware.com> Jason Evans writes:
: of months).  A tag (not a branch) will be laid down before the initial
: checkin, and non-developers should either stick closely to that tag until
: the kernel stabilizes, or expect large doses of pain.  This tag will be
: laid down as soon as June 26, 00:00 PST, with a minimum 24 hour warning
: beforehand.

Thanks for the fair warning.  Now don't do it.  Has core approved
this?  I don't think so, I've seen nothign from them about it.

The instability ni -current for MONTHS is pain not acceptible.  We've
never really allowed that in the past.  A CVS branch would be mcuh
better for this sort of thing.  I know that's a pain as well, but this
is just for SMP people and the rest of us shouldn't have to deal with
the pain.

I understand your desire to have it all in a working tree, but causing
pain for ALL developers for potentially MONTHS isn't a reasonable
request.

Warner