Date:      Sat, 9 May 1998 15:34:40 -0400 (EDT)
From:      CyberPeasant <djv@bedford.net>
To:        beaupran@JSP.UMontreal.CA (BEAUPRE Antoine)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc@carnaval.risq.qc.ca
Subject:   Re: Problems YOU can have?

BEAUPRE Antoine wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Maybe I posted this before, but I 'm not sure. Please forgive me.
> I got a big problem, and I don't even know what caused it to happen.
>
> When I use man it replies:
> man : can't find file /etc/manpath.coonf
>
> The files is there as it always was, and I haven't touch it or modified it
> in any way(to my knowledge)
>
> When I try to use cu -l /dev/cuaa2 -115200, I get:
> cu: /etc/uucp/port fopen: operation not permitted.
>
> Minicom replies:
> You don't exist. Go away.
>
> mount /dev/fd0 /mnt replies:
> (i don't remember, it should have already been sent to this mailing list
> by now, but I haven't received it so I post it again...)
>
> Please consider this. I'm absolutly disfunctional without the manpages and
> cu to get my mail...

Both sound like permissions problems. /etc/manpath.conf should
have permissions rw-r--r-- (644). the man program runs suid to user
man, but manpath.conf should be owned by root.bin. I think that man
will not be able to open manpath.conf if it lacks world-read, even
if man is run by root.

I am cluess about the cu problem, though.

Have you been tightening up permissions lately? Maybe things are
too tight. Perhaps ownerships have changed due to a partial
installation or an error during a tar operation?

Dave
--
                <----.   mail-to: djv@bedford.net