Date:      Sat, 5 Jun 1999 07:31:59 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Matt Behrens <matt@zigg.com>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kkennawa@physics.adelaide.edu.au>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SSH2 (in FreeBSD-Questions)

On Sat, 5 Jun 1999, Kris Kennaway wrote:

: On Fri, 4 Jun 1999, Matt Behrens wrote:

: > Yep.  Works on maybe half the ports.  Some override PREFIX themselves;
: > some have commands with /usr/local hardcoded in; some packages even
: > ignore configure command-line switches to change their paths,
: > preferring /usr/local.

: Patches accepted - actually, even just send-pr'ing a list of the broken ones
: would be more useful than just mentioning "ports in general".
:
: It's hard to fix what we don't know is broken.

That I can understand.  Please note also, though, the distinction
I make above with the packages that ignore command-line switches
-- I'm referring to the source tarballs themselves.  A patch to
work around this broken behavior would be convoluted at best, I
would think.  However, I'm certainly not going to just complain
and not do anything.  I'll try to find the offenders again and make
patches.  (Along those lines, I've noticed very few PLISTs contain
entries for manpages.  Are they _supposed_ to?)

I've been mulling over solutions to this in my mind lately and
wonder if something along the lines of "/etc/paths.conf" or maybe
just another several lines in "/etc/make.conf" might be useful.
PREFIX works pretty well but it's limited to stuffing in a single
directory.  I think the flexibility could be there to do something
like the following:

BINDIR=/opt/$PACKAGE/bin
LINK_BINDIR=/opt/bin
LIBDIR=/opt/$PACKAGE/lib
LINK_LIBDIR=/opt/lib
ETCDIR=/etc/opt/$PACKAGE

but would probably ship with other defaults:

BINDIR=/usr/local/bin
LIBDIR=/usr/local/lib
ETCDIR=/usr/local/etc

and what not.  Is it even possible to put something like this into
the ports system (I've studied the makefiles and such and I fear
I've only scratched the surface)?

Matt Behrens <matt@zigg.com>
Owner/Administrator, zigg.com
Chief Engineer, Nameless IRC Network