Date:      Mon, 22 Oct 2001 06:33:35 -0700
From:      sabine225@home.com
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   install new bind, what happened

With cvsup I updated the /usr/ports/net directory.

In the net/bind8 dir I typed make and make install.

The original bind8 was installed from the ports that came with 4.2.

Now why does it work this way:

The old named and ndc apps where in /usr/sbin the new ones went into
/usr/local/sbin. Was this because it saw there already was a
/usr/sbin/named? Or does the newer installer just like local better?

Should I move all the new stuff to the /usr/bin dir or just delete the
old stuff and use the new stuff where it is?

The new named insisted on the named.conf file being in /etc/ not
etc/namedb where I had it before. Where is this set?

v2[/etc]# ndc start
can't open '/etc/named.conf'
ndc: error: could not start new name server (/usr/local/sbin/named)
v2[/etc]# /usr/local/sbin/named
can't open '/etc/named.conf'

v2[/etc]# mv  namedb/named.conf .
v2[/etc]# ndc start