Date:      18 Oct 2001 09:31:35 -0700
From:      swear@blarg.net (Gary W. Swearingen)
To:        David Kelly <dkelly@grumpy.dyndns.org>
Cc:        Raymon Gentry <rgentry@aecc.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD success and ponderings???

David Kelly <dkelly@grumpy.dyndns.org> writes:

> I've noticed a genuine 3Com card has probably the best UTP media
> interface of anything you can buy. Works where others fail. So for
> testing you don't want to use 3Com.
[ stories snipped ]

Counter example: I recently put a new connector on a Cat-5 for the first
time without pin info and messed it up.  It worked fine on a NetGear
FA310TX (100/10 PCI - Tulip-type), but not at all on a 3Com 3c900B-TPO
Etherlink XL PCI.  Had to fix my connector.  Had the same old NE-2000
clone at the other end in both cases.