Date:      Thu, 8 Nov 2001 20:02:54 +0200
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <charon@labs.gr>
To:        "Brian T.Schellenberger" <bts@babbleon.org>
Cc:        David Banning <david@skytrackercanada.com>, Andreas Ntaflos <ntaflos.andreas@gmx.net>, David Loszewski <stealth215@mediaone.net>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ^M on end of lines

On Sun, Nov 04, 2001 at 10:08:20PM -0500, Brian T.Schellenberger wrote:
> > I get ^M's at the end of every line in tempfile. Don't you?
>
> Yes.  But I don't see how that contradicts what I said: They aren't visible
> in the xterm, just in the scriptfile.  (Because I really did type in a CR.)
> But this should be true for Linux as well, so, again
>
> - FreeBSD should be the same Linux;
> - If you FTP in the same mode, FTP should not insert or remove ^Ms; and
> - The aren't visible in XTerms.
>
> I think that's what I said last time . . . it's what I meant to say anyway.

You're mixing two different things (xterm that runs a script(1) and
FTP), and yet trying to find a generalization that should fit both
cases, adding two different OSes to the lot to make things worse :P

The way script(1) works is intercept all the output that your terminal
driver will send to the terminal screen, and record it to a file.  So,
when the terminal receives a ^M because you pressed RETURN in your
keyboard, script(1) happilly logs the fact in it's typescript file.

The way FTP works and ascii vs. binary file transfers is not related
to this in any way.  Don't try to understand how FTP works by
deciphering the way script(1) works, or vice versa.  It won't work :-)