Date:      Wed, 22 Jan 2003 14:00:29 -0800
From:      Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@xcllnt.net>
To:        Nicolas Souchu <nsouch@free.fr>
Cc:        Doug Rabson <dfr@nlsystems.com>, "Pedro F. Giffuni" <giffunip@yahoo.com>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: the mythical syscons redesign document ( was Re: Porting wscons )

On Wed, Jan 22, 2003 at 10:36:26PM +0100, Nicolas Souchu wrote:

> > The main sticking point for this stuff is that console is needed before
> > the device tree is probed.
>
> The approach of KGI is to provide a very basic/minimal driver for console boot
> that can be overlaped later by fully probed graphic board drivers. This is
> somehow how VGA adapter is organized, with the video_switch used immediatly
> and later the vga_isa.c glue-code for newbus full attachement.

This is what makes it non-portable and why we have problems getting
it to work in non-PC, non-ISA environments.

> But I prefer the solution of the minimal driver with included text rendering
> if needed.

Booting a notebook in text mode looks ugly and I can imagine that
early boot environments can be graphical as well. I prefer not to
fixate on text-only video modes for the low-level console, even
though we probably won't use it for anything but text.