Date:      Sun, 25 Oct 1998 19:09:18 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Jason C. Wells" <jcwells@u.washington.edu>
To:        FreeBSD-advocacy <freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Whistle Claims and Copyrights

http://www.whistle.com/products/prod-basicfaq.html#bsd

They use BSD instead of free software? Gag!! I guess they are afraid to
"come out of the closet."

To be fair, they do meet the requirements of the Board of Regents
copyright terms.

Why doesn't FreeBSD add FreeBSD, Inc to the copyright? Certainly /usr/src
contains copyrightable contributions by FreeBSD. A statement in the
copyright requiring...

3. All advertising materials mentioning features or use of this software
   must display the following acknowledgement:

This product includes software developed by the University of
California, Berkeley and its contributors and FreeBSD Inc. and it's
contributors.

...would seem wholly appropriate. The BSD license does not seem to
preclude such a statement.

Do we not do this to prevent scaring away customers like Whistle who are
unwilling to advertise that they use free software?

Catchya Later,		|	UW Mechanical Engineering
Jason Wells		|	http://weber.u.washington.edu/~jcwells/