Date:      Mon, 5 Jul 1999 13:28:11 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Mark McCutcheon <mjmccut@cs.ubc.ca>
To:        <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>
Subject:   	Re: FreeBSD & MacOS

Alex Bulygin <sysop@komanda.com.ua> asks:

> Im wondering is it possible to use Intel based PC with FreeBSD
> as file server for LAN segment based on Apple PowerPC?  If so
> which ver. of FreeBSD is the best and how is performance
> comparatively to NT, Novell?  Should it be connected through
> AppleTalk or TCP/IP? Is there some doc's about this one?  Or
> someone has experience of maintaining such kind of things?

For AppleTalk support under UNIX, have a look at netatalk.  It's
in the FreeBSD ports collection (/usr/ports/net/netatalk).
Homepage is:

  	http://www.umich.edu/~rsug/netatalk/

While my Macintosh network support requirements aren't very
demanding, netatalk has worked extremely well and I'm not aware
of any adverse scaling properties.  You need to make a custom
kernel with AppleTalk support turned on (options NETATALK; see
LINT).  Ports installation is simple (beware, AppleTalk stack is
broken on FreeBSD 2.2.5-RELEASE and requires a patch; all
subsequent versions appear to be fine).  netatalk allows both
file and print services as well as AppleTalk routing.

netatalk's services are transparent to Mac users, so it's a great
deal easier to set up and administer than, for example, NetBIOS
support for Macs (like Thursby Software Systems DAVE for WinNT).
However, I don't administer WinNT and haven't administered a
Novell network in over 10 years, so I can't help with any
comparisons.

Regards,

Mark

----