Date:      13 Jan 2001 19:10:19 -0600
From:      Lars Eighner <eighner@io.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Trouble with ports? Try this

Recently I have discovered many ports that do not build, fail to build
with various mysterious messages, or appear to build but do not work.

I have asked numerous questions about these port problems, describing
the messages and situations, without receiving appropriate replies
(i.e. no reply, replies that suggest doing things that I said I had
done in the attempt to build the port, etc.)

Here is the secret: a number of ports require imake, but they don't
say so if you just try to make them.  You have to read the Makefile
to discover it.  Some of them will appear to build and install, but
won't work.  Some of them fail to build with messages which don't
mention imake.

So check the Makefile if you have problems with a port - or simply
install imake-4 so the problem won't come up.  If it turns out this
has been a problem with some of your ports, be sure to deinstall
and make clean before you rebuild after you have installed imake.

--
  Lars Eighner           eighner@io.com           http://www.io.com/~eighner/
       Health is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.