Date:      Fri, 30 May 1997 02:36:44 +1000
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        bde@zeta.org.au, phk@dk.tfs.com
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: disk cache challenged by small block sizes

>>ufs with a block size of 4K was about the same speed as ext2fs with a block
>>size of 4K.  ufs with a block size of 8K was significantly (25%) slower.
>              ===========================================================
>
>Uhm, isn't that rather obvious ?

No :-).

>The chances of being able to do one DMA into two (physically) consecutive
>pages are very very slim as far as I can tell, so you will generally get
>better performance when you do it in page size chunks ?

The pages are normally discontiguous, so they are normally done in page-
size chunks.  A block size of 8K should allow better disk scheduling.
Read-ahead is based in the principle of sending even larger requests to
the driver.

These times for raw i/o show that the OS's cache is doing something right
to get even 700K/sec.  Speeds in bytes/sec for dd'ing 512 blocks to/from
/dev/zero:

	block size	read		write
	512		24940 		24940
	1024		49643		49642