Date:      Fri, 12 Jul 2002 09:06:19 -0500
From:      "Kevin Kinsey, DaleCo, S.P." <kdk@daleco.biz>
To:        "Jason Hampton" <jhampton1970@hotmail.com>, <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: help

From: "Jason Hampton" <jhampton1970@hotmail.com>
To: <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Sent: Friday, July 12, 2002 7:57 AM
Subject: help

> I am completely new to this concept. There are a lot of
> pictures and video clips I wish to share with friends.
> Would a FTP site be my best method of sharing. If so,
> how do I get started. I read some of the material
> provided at http://www.freebsd.org/. But it is foreign
> to me. Although I have used them in the past, setting
> one up is new to me.
>
> Any information will be much appreciated.
>
> Regards,
> Jason Hampton

An FTP site *might* be the best way of sharing photos
and videos with friends.  FTP is usually a "faster" transfer
protocol for most types of files.  However, before you
take this "plunge", consider the following.

    * If YOU are "completely new to this concept," how
        likely are your friends to know much about it?  FTP
        is a well-known protocol within the "geek" community,
        but many people in the "real world" don't know what it is
        or how to use it.

    * There are a number of websites established that allow file-sharing
        /photo-sharing.  Several of these services are free, up to a certain
        storage limit.  This might be a lot easier solution for both you and
        your friends, especially is the concept "is foreign to me."  For
example,
        you might get storage at "X-drive" dot com, which included (last I
        knew - some time ago) built in applets for emailing your friends
about
        your files.  There are other and better [http://] web-based
solutions
        as well.

    * If you wish to run an FTP site, you will have to run an FTP server.
        Now by server, I mean a software program that opens a computer
        to outside requests for information.  This might run on the computer
        you use now (a Windows computer, perhaps?) or you might set up
        a computer to run a more robust, reliable, and lower-impact [on
resources]
        OS like UNIX (FreeBsd, NetBSD, OpenBSD, or one of the many
        'flavors' of Linux).  Are you up to learning how to run a whole new
        operating system.  One that probably doesn't have 24/7 phone
support,
        automatic configuration "wizards" (hack, hack, *cough*) and come
with
        a full-color, 400+ page instruction manual?  FreeBSD actually has
the
        *best* technical staff and support I've ever come into contact with,
but
        as you've probably guessed, it's just a bunch of guys (& girls) who
love
        to write computer code, debug programs, run servers, and then argue
        about the best way to do this via email.  And, they do it all in
their "Free"
        time, for "Free."

    * Which brings up the subject of "cost."  There are costs involved in
running
        any server:  hardware costs, software costs (not in FBSD's case ;-),
the
        cost of bandwidth (you're not gonna want to do this on your dial-up
modem)
        and possibly co-location space, and finally, the time spent in
setting up the
        server and placing your content on it.  Of course, if you want to do
this, you've
        probably already considered this.  And, if you're thinking to "make"
money
        with this venture .....  well, shame on you, there's enough of
*that* out here already...

    *Finally, there might be a few more security risks to running an FTP
server
        on ANY platform (windoze, UNIX, you name it...).  There have been
        bugs in the past that were trivial to exploit and allowed remote
users to
        take complete control of the "serving" machine.  This is rare, but
can occur.
        Also, unless you know exactly who all your "friends" are, you'll
want to run
        "anonymous" FTP, and that is a bit more of a security risk and more
difficult to
        configure for secure operation. Those of us who do run such servers
are,
        it seems, almost constantly sitting in front of some terminal
somewhere
        looking at something to make sure that everything about our "system"
is
        running well, safe and secure.  It's not that we don't get out much,
but
        don't count on a couple of hours now and no further work on the
project.

Well, I'm not trying to rave, and I don't have a great interest in the
outcome of
your decision either way ... (though I do like FreeBSD users...).  If you
think
you'd like to try, or know you're ready, I'd suggest downloading the FreeBSD
handbook.  In your case, do it from ftp.freebsd.org via FTP (it'd be good
practice!)
Do more research from the web --- how FTP works, various operating systems,
software bugs, setup issues, etc.  I'd say www.google.com is your friend
there.
Let us know what you decide.  We're always curious around here.

Kevin Kinsey, DaleCo, S.P., Missouri USA