Date:      Sun, 09 Feb 1997 18:20:35 -0600
From:      Tony Overfield <tony@dell.com>
To:        bugs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Stuck! 2.2 Gamma won't go.

I'm attempting to do a test install of 2.2-gamma on a system
with a PS/2 style Microsoft mouse.

After many hours of downloading, it finally asked me to choose
a graphical or a non-graphical method of configuring the X
server.  I chose graphical.  Now I've got a nice looking
setup screen that wants me to choose my mouse type, but the
mouse won't work to choose it.  It seems to have the classical
"crazy mouse" problem, where the mouse data packets are out of
phase (mouse moves only along top and left edges of screen).

Ok, that makes some sense, since I haven't chosen my mouse type
yet.  But when I try to use the keyboard, nothing happens.  The
keyboard is still working (since I can toggle the LED keys, and
Alt-F4, etc. beep at me), but I cannot choose anything at all.

I can't get the setup screen to go away using the mouse or the
keyboard and I can't telnet into the box to kill the X server.

So I assume I'm now screwed.  Oh well, that's one more thing to
avoid in the *next* attempt.