Date:      Sun, 21 Sep 1997 12:59:19 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Simon Shapiro <Shimon@i-Connect.Net>
To:        Eivind Eklund <perhaps@yes.no>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: kernel config, spl*() and interrupt masks

Hi Eivind Eklund;  On 21-Sep-97 you wrote:

>  With the switch from processor interrupt levels to masks, is it still
>  useful to be able to specify the interrupt level (now mask) in the
>  kernel config file?  Doesn't this just give the user one more way to
>  blow his foot off? For something e.g. config'ed as a tty in the config
>  file per default, spltty() will be used in the top half of that driver
>  anyway, and the user has no way to force it to still be blocked by
>  this call.
>
>  And while we're at it - I've had to have a device driver blocked by
>  both spltty() and splimp() - is there a better/more correct way to do
>  this than having the driver call INTRMASK() on both tty_imask and
>  net_imask?  This method seem like quite a nasty hack, relying on
>  things it shouldn't - but the driver has to be in both masks, as it
>  rely on structures in the generic parts of the kernel protected by
>  both spltty() and splimp().
>
>  Eivind.

Yeah!  I second that!  Very annoying indeed.

---

Sincerely Yours,                               (Sent on 21-Sep-97, 12:57:10
by XF-Mail)

Simon Shapiro                                                Atlas Telecom
Senior Architect         14355 SW Allen Blvd., Suite 130 Beaverton OR 97005
Shimon@i-Connect.Net          Voice:  503.643.5559, Emergency: 503.799.2313