Date:      Thu, 16 Apr 1998 16:09:15 -0400
From:      "Gary Palmer" <gpalmer@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        lrios <lrios@ziplink.net>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD and Sendmail

lrios wrote in message ID
<Pine.BSF.3.96.980415122128.1928A-100000@zip1.ziplink.net>:
> I'm currently running FreeBSD 2.2.5 on a Pentium II 266mhz machine with
> 256M ram and finding performace issues with Sendmail.. I've placed much
> load on this machine and found that I can old get about 200 emails per
> minute.. Just for comparison I did that same on a Linux machine running a
> 75 mhz Pentium and 32 mb ram and found that it could put about 500 per
> minute.  I also found that the pentium two barely took a breath while the
> linux machine was at 20% idle (not a suprise).. Is that because of
> different memory managers or some type of kernel config?? Any ideas would
> be greatly appreciated...

Filesystem differences. From memory, Linux has a default of doing
`async' writes, meaning that file data is flushed out as written (or close
enough), while the metadata is flushed by sync. This allows a drastic
speed difference as the disk heads are not having to do as many seeks
(one to the file data, one to the file metadata, etc) per write.
Try mounting your queuedir async and see if that helps

(mount -o async -u /filesystem )

Gary