Date:      Thu, 15 Oct 1998 20:54:15 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Bill Paul <wpaul@skynet.ctr.columbia.edu>
To:        sepotvin@videotron.ca (Stephane E. Potvin)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Intel 82558 driver/documentation

Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, Stephane E.
Potvin had to walk into mine and say:

> Hi,
>
> 	Does anyone have an idea where one could find programming documentation
> for this Ethernet chip? Intel rep keep saying that no such thing exits
> (sic). I am told that it is very similar to the 82557 (supported by fxp
> driver) but I want to check by myself the differences to make sure the
> driver supports it correctly.
>
> 	Thanks in advance!

As people have said already, the 82558 is the same as an 82557 chip
except with a built-in PHY. Intel's internal name for these chips
is 'Speedo.' If your Intel rep says it doesn't exist, he's either
lying to you or he's woefully underinformed. Both chips should be
supported by the fxp driver.

As for programming documentation, you need to contact a local Intel
sales office and ask for the 82557 or 82558 Developer Kit, and prepare
to sign a non disclosure agreement. If you rummage around at
http://developer.intel.com you will find an datasheets for the 82557
and 82558 chips, but don't be fooled: these datasheets have been
stategically emasculated. The 'software interface' section is
only about 5 pages long (out of a total of 85) and doesn't give you
any of the details about all of the registers in the chip and how to
program them, nor does it describe the descriptor format. This
information is in a developer's guide, which is part of the kit and
covered by NDA.

It may be possible to negotiate terms with Intel to allow you to
release source code of any drivers you may wite, however you will
still need to sign the NDA. This is of course completely stupid and
I encourage you and all your friends to complain to Intel about
this policy. Hopefully they'll eventually get the point and do
away with the NDA requirement.

-Bill