Date:      Fri, 28 Nov 2003 23:35:22 -0700
From:      "Jerry M. Howell II" <jmhowell@jmhowell.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ssh issue

On Tue, Nov 25, 2003 at 06:38:07PM -0700, David Bear wrote:
> running 4.7-RELEASE.. I'm trying to setup ssh pubkey auth and its not
> working..
>
> I put my pub key in ~/.ssh/authorized_keys from system A
>
> On system B edited /etc/ssh/sshd_config with
> ======================
> PubkeyAuthentication yes
> AuthorizedKeysFile      .ssh/authorized_keys
> PasswordAuthentication no
> =====================
>
> I chmod'd my .ssh dir as 700 on system A and B.  Then restart sshd on
> system B explicitly using -f /etc/ssh/sshd_config .
>
> the ssh'ing into system B I'm still prompted for a password.
>
> I'm lost.  Any advice.

There are 2 ways I know to do this and the following URL shows you haw
to do both. BTW, if the remote server disallows passwordless logins it
doesn't mater how hard you try.

http://www-uxsup.csx.cam.ac.uk/pwf-linux/intro/remote.passwordless.html

sure it's focused on linux but it'll work just the same on freeBSD

--
Jerry M. Howell II