Date:      Tue, 12 Nov 1996 19:34:55 -0700 (MST)
From:      Marc Slemko <marcs@znep.com>
To:        Wes Santee <wes@bogon.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Any way to use rdump w/ssh?

Something along the lines of:
	ssh remotehost /sbin/dump 0Bfu 4000000 - / > /dev/nrst0

run from the machine with the tape drive will work (even better if you
pipe it through something like team to get some more buffering), but you
loose automatic end of tape checking (it should still be able to figure
out eventually that the end of tape has been reached, but will probably be
too late to allow you to continue like dump normally does) and you may
have to play with blocksizes (eg. mt blocksize 512) to get it to write
correctly.  You will also probably want to use something like '-c arcfour'
to use arcfour encryption, which is a good bit less CPU intensive than the
default.