Date:      Sun, 15 Aug 2004 23:03:31 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Marco Beishuizen <marco@beishuizen.info>
To:        "Kevin D. Kinsey, DaleCo, S.P." <kdk@daleco.biz>
Subject:   Re: Acrobat Reader 4 on alpha?

On stardate Sun, 15 Aug 2004, the wise Kevin D. Kinsey, DaleCo, S.P. entered:

> If linux compatibility is enabled (I have to assume it was before, as
> Adobe doesn't port directly to *BSD) and working (again, I assume
> as I run on i386), you could get the tarball and try to
> configure/build/install
> from source:
>
>     ftp://ftp.adobe.com/pub/adobe/acrobatreader/unix/4.x/
>
> Of course, if linux compatibility is working, I would think you could
> run 5.x, also; so either there *is* a difficulty in getting it to run on
> your architecture (and therefore it hasn't yet been marked OK for
> alpha) or else the port maintainer just hasn't yet found time to set
> things up properly for alpha.

Linux compatibility doesn't work on my alpha. The acroread version that
worked was the dec/osf one, with osf compatibility enabled. But just
downloading and installing this version from the Adobe site doesn't work
also. The ports version had a patch to get it to work.

> I imagine that directing your question
> towards the ports@ list or perhaps even the alpha@ list might give
> you some insight --- but I would definitely look at the list charters
> first; I read neither of them and don't know if this would be "on topic"
> for those lists.

I looked at the mailing list archives but couldn't find anything about
this. I did send this mail to the alpha list first but I didn't get any
answer, so sent it also to the questions list. A lot more people read it,
perhaps also someone that has a solution.

Marco
--
Q:  How many IBM cpu's does it take to do a logical right shift?
A:  33.  1 to hold the bits and 32 to push the register.