Date:      Mon, 06 Sep 1999 14:37:29 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
To:        Brad Knowles <blk@skynet.be>
Cc:        Tom <tom@uniserve.com>, Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@flood.ping.uio.no>, Pascal Hofstee <daeron@Wit401305.student.utwente.nl>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: softupdates in latest build?

> 	I don't need to.  We're violating rule #1 of Cheswick & Bellovin
> -- if you don't need something, don't run it.  This fact alone should
> be enough to cause this feature to be disabled by default.

We need it.  DHCP installs will die a horrible death upon initial
startup without it.  Just becuase you don't use DHCP doesn't mean
that hundreds, if not thousands, of other sites do not.

Can we end this discussion now?  It was literally discussed to death
some months ago, before this change even went in, and if you weren't
present for those discussions then you simply have only yourself
to blame because our lists are all public access.  There's no profit
in discussing it further and I'll be deleting any more mails in
this thread unread.

- Jordan