Date:      Fri, 31 Jul 1998 01:42:08 -0400 (EDT)
From:      ADRIAN Filipi-Martin <adrian@ubergeeks.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        "Eric S. Raymond" <esr@snark.thyrsus.com>, jkh@time.cdrom.com, brian@hyperreal.org, dwilde1@ibm.net, freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: branding

On Fri, 31 Jul 1998, Terry Lambert wrote:

> I think, specifically, the release of Kaffe, the first cleanroom
> JAVA implementation is worthy of mention.  Despite thier positioning
> as a competitor to my own employer, I'd note Freegate as well, even
> if the numbers aren't there yet.  I'd also note the NetBSD based
> "Interceptor" box from Vixie Enterprises, Inc., as well as the
> company that contracts them, the Internet Software Consoritium.

	Hmmm, this mention of NetBSD reminds me of the StrongARM.  I think
DEC met the $1M/year threshhold quite some time ago.  I know I cannot
speak fo rthe NetBSD folks, but perhaps someone can prod one of them to
speak up.  In any case here's the URL to DEC's developers page describing
their application of NetBSD to the DNARD:

	http://www.research.digital.com/SRC/iag/info/new-soft.html

	Also, with respect to Whistle, the products.html page could
mention one of their numerous awwards.  The ommission stands out to those
who know of these awards when the summary above Whistle has just such a
link.  In any case, here's the link to Whistle's awards.  The "PC
Computing - 1997 MVP BEST NETWORKING HARDWARE WINNER" is a good one to
mention.

	http://www.whistle.com/company/comp-itnews.html#Awards

	On the serious side, all flames and headted arguments aside,
www.opensource.org has a credability problem with a respectable number of
people.  I believe Eric when says he is working hard on the site and the
promotion of open software.

	However, counting on near 100% self selection to get your project
or companies' work branded/listed is going to skew respresentation.  This
is even more likely given that the site is new.  Self selection, even with
a filter, is still just that, self selection.  One way to greatly improve
the credentials of the site in a qualitative manner rather than
quanitative one, would be to actively seek out those "interesting"
projects and technologies and work them into the site, whether they ask to
be or not.  I am sure no matter how much nois you make, that some
important and listable sites will not hear the call.

	If the big Linux vendors hadn't heard of opensource.org and never
asked to get listed, would they have been listed anyways?  My guess is
yes, they would have.  That same benefit of the doubt needs to be extended
in more directions.  Every direction.  When it is, fewer people will
argure that opensource.org's protrayal of reality and the world as we know
it are different.

	Adrian
--
[ adrian@ubergeeks.com -- Ubergeeks Consulting -- http://www.ubergeeks.com/ ]