Date:      Thu, 10 Jan 2002 19:24:45 -0600
From:      Jordan DeLong <fracture@allusion.net>
To:        Dan Nelson <dnelson@allantgroup.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: terminfo on freebsd

On Thu, Jan 10, 2002 at 10:15:45AM -0600, Dan Nelson wrote:
> In the last episode (Jan 09), Jordan DeLong said:
> > are there any plans for converting freebsd's ncurses install to use
> > terminfo instead of termcap?  is there some reason for sticking to
> > termcap instead of terminfo?  (disk space, etc?) and is there an easy
> > method (i.e. ports or simple make install from somewhere in /usr/src)
> > to convert a freebsd system to use terminfo?
>
> Mainly because there is no need to move to terminfo.  Why have your
> terminal entries in 2000 tiny files in an unreadable binary format
> that's different for each OS, when you can have them all in a single
> text file that all OSes can read?
>
> Is there some reason to convert to terminfo?
>
> --
> 	Dan Nelson
> 	dnelson@allantgroup.com

ah I guess that was (or should've been) part of the question.  So
then the only real advantage to terminfo would be the ability to
have entries that are > 2K or something?  (in which case i don't
suppose it matters, because all the terminals i use are in the
termcap db and fit in the size limitation).

I guess I'll stick with termcap, then...

thanks

--
Jordan DeLong
fracture@allusion.net