Date:      Sat, 15 Jun 2002 12:24:56 -0400
From:      Jud <jud@myrealbox.com>
To:        "ozdemir dogan" <ozdemirdgn@myrealbox.com>, freebsd-reply@akruijff.dds.nl
Cc:        "freebsd" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: a question about cvsuping source

6/15/2002 6:24:25 AM, Alex <freebsd-reply@akruijff.dds.nl> wrote:

>Dear ozdemir,
>
>Saturday, June 15, 2002, 7:39:41 AM, you wrote:
>
>od>    Hi.I am new in Freebsd and I want to ask something about
cvsup.For example I am using Freebsd 4.5 and always cvsup the
source.When Freebsd 4.6 released is my source tree equal to Freebsd
4.6's
>od> source.That is, should I download the source of every release
when they are released although I allways cvsup my source.And will my
source tree be equal when 5.0 released.(because of the
>od> difference between 4x-5x).
>od>    Thank you.
>
>It all depends on you configuration file.
>
>With cvsup you can decide witch source tree you wanna follow. Usaly
>its best to keep track of the lastest stable version. Unless you have
>a reason to do other wise. I have in my config file the tag RELENG_4_
6
>so i get that. I changed this by hand when 4.6 came out.

As I (possibly mis-)understand it, RELENG_4_6 should get you 4.6-
RELEASE with any security updates.  This is for folks who don't want to
run the latest -STABLE (not as thoroughly tested as -RELEASE, so
greater chance of bugs).

Plain old RELENG_4 should get you the latest 4.x-STABLE version.  This
will always be at least equal to, and usually newer than, 4.x-RELEASE.

By the time 5.0 is released, if there are any requirements for updating to
the latest -STABLE other than changing to RELENG_5 in the appropriate
supfile, I'm sure that information will be made widely available in
advance.

Jud