Date:      Mon, 01 Sep 1997 22:39:28 -0700
From:      Ludwig Pummer <ludwigp@bigfoot.com>
To:        "Marty Leisner" <leisner@sdsp.mc.xerox.com>, Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        "Brian N. Handy" <handy@sag.space.lockheed.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: fips from win95

At 07:48 PM 9/1/97 PDT, Marty Leisner wrote:
>Maybe not... from fips (last year some time), it doesn't understand
>some of the ofther fat16 partitions (I bought a laptop around thanksgiving
>which had a paritition type of (I think) '0xE'.  I re-ided it (I think)
>and I was fine (but this was a royal pain in the arse).

I think this may be the LBA-mode partition stuff that Micro$oft started
with Win95. They introduced 2 new partition types (DOS Primary and DOS
extented) which had something to do with LBA support. However, in typical
Micro$oft fashion, Win95 would destroy your partitions if you had these
partition types and did "Restart in MS DOS mode" under certain conditions
(the patch for this is called the 'disk-type specific update' or something
like that).
However, running Win95's FDISK with the undocumented /X switch (typical M$)
made it use the old, standard DOS partition types. I don't even think
there's any practical difference between the new partition types and the
old ones.

--Ludwig Pummer
ludwigp@bigfoot.com   ICQ UIN: 692441   http://chipweb.home.ml.org
PGP Key & Geek Code available on web page     ^-- Updated 07/01/97