Date:      Wed, 19 Jul 2006 12:10:40 +0100 (BST)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Tom Rhodes <trhodes@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        trustedbsd-discuss@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Interesting link on OpenSolaris

On Thu, 13 Jul 2006, Tom Rhodes wrote:

> Glenn Brunette, a Sun employee posted this link to a list I'm on, and it
> appears pretty interesting:
>
> http://www.opensolaris.org/os/project/smf-profiles/Design/
>
> To quote some of Glenn's email:
>
> "It will have a strong bearing on the future of hardening Solaris down the
> road.  For those that may not have seen it, the Solaris Secure by Default
> project also integrated into Nevada/OpenSolaris at build 42:
>
>    http://blogs.sun.com/gbrunett?entry=solaris_secure_by_default_part "
>
> Seems pretty interesting to me.

Yes, for this reason FreeBSD has generally been configured with all network
services disabled by default for several years, although we offer explicit
options to turn certain services on from inception during the install process
(such as sshd).

Robert N M Watson
Computer Laboratory
University of Cambridge