Date:      Thu, 8 Nov 2001 19:27:59 -0500
From:      ravi pina <ravi@cow.org>
To:        Doug Reynolds <mav@wastegate.net>
Cc:        "absinthe@pobox.com" <absinthe@pobox.com>, Dylan Carlson <damage_z@yahoo.com>, Jim Mock <mij@soupnazi.org>, "Ronald R. Perez" <ronaldp76@earthlink.net>, Mark Pude <markpude@hotmail.com>, "questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: /var/ is full

On Thu, Nov 08, 2001 at 06:59:35PM -0500, Doug Reynolds said at one point in time:
> On Thu, 8 Nov 2001 09:34:26 -0800 (PST), Dylan Carlson wrote:
>
> >I think it should be mentioned that the Auto option in the FreeBSD installer
> >makes quite undersized /var mounts (IMO)... and in fact I think the default is
> >20MB.
> >
> >I would propose making this default to something 60-100MB in the next RELEASE.
> >20MB isn't suitable for what most people seem to be doing anymore.
>
> the last install i did, i mounted everything on the root.  it seems to
> be working great.  i am wondering if there are any security issues with
> that tho.

well, the short answer is no, there is nothing wrong
with that.  since its one physical disk, you'll lose
all partitions if the disk fails.

the problem lies when you have some file or files that
grow fast either by normal use, a rogue progess, or
a DOS attack.  examples are log files getting too big,
someone being mailbombed, someone exceeding /tmp space,
or someong using anonymous ftp for a warez/pr0n server.
these problems can be solved by using quotas, however.

my guideline is to make / 64M, /var (5*users)+500, and
/usr the rest.

hope that helps.

-r

--
echo "send pgp key" | mail ravi@cow.org
"God did not create the world in seven days; he screwed around for six