Date:      Thu, 18 Oct 2001 09:46:16 -0700
From:      "John" <jburns@pacificcoast.net>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   spontaneous

 Hey Dudes,

 I'm running FreeBSD 4.4 release on an i386. I have an 800Mhz Duron on an
ASUS-A7V133 motherboard, the motherboard has the VIA- KT133A chipset. The
hard drive is a thirty gig Maxtor, 5400rpm and I have 256mb pc133 ram
(Micron). The video card is an AGP ASUS Geforce2-MX.

 I'm having a problem with spontaneous reboots and they only seem to happen
late night. I'll leave X running overnight with the XMatrix screensaver on,
and some mornings when I wake up it has rebooted and I'm back at console.
The odd thing is, it only happens once in a while but, it's always at night
when it happens and never at the same time. I thought it maybe a heat issue,
but it never does it when I'm sitting right in front of the machine running
everything. Then I thought it was a cronjob, but I ran all the jobs in
/etc/crontab and the computer never rebooted. Someone mentioned that it
could be a DOS floppy mounted when the machines performing a "find /", I
tested that theory and came back negative.

I run Apache Web Server1.3.20 (stand alone)
ProFTPD Version 1.2.2 on inetd (only accessable by those who are permited to
pass my NetBSD ipf/ipnat/firewall.)
SSH Secure Shell Daemon 2.3.0 (same firewall rule as ftp)

Do you guys have any idea what could be causing the reboots?

-John Burns