Date:      Wed, 12 Dec 2001 15:44:26 -0800
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cristjc@earthlink.net>
To:        Bill Schoolcraft <bill@wiliweld.com>
Cc:        Mike Meyer <mwm-dated-1008624677.38f4d4@mired.org>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Capture screen shot of (root) Xwindow

On Wed, Dec 12, 2001 at 02:02:37PM -0800, Bill Schoolcraft wrote:
> At Wed, 12 Dec 2001 it looks like Mike Meyer composed:
>
> > Make sure that xwd is in /usr/X11R6/bin, and try running it by hand.
> >

> I see now. I'm currently reading the manpage and attempting
> different command syntax(s) to get it to work.  (grrrr)

  $ xwd -root > root.dmp

xwd(1) is loads of fun. It's especially a kick to grab other people's
root windows (since loads of commercial X servers run with no access
controls by default and lots of people never change this),

  $ xwd -root -display some-server-host:0 > some-server-host.dmp

But there are so-o many fun games to play with unsecured X servers
it's hard to pick just one.