Date:      Tue, 25 Jul 2000 02:27:23 +0900 (JST)
From:      Hajimu UMEMOTO <ume@mahoroba.org>
To:        rwatson@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        ume@mahoroba.org
Subject:   Re: gateway strange behaviour for telnet and ftp

rwatson> This has gotten worse recently (well, relatively recently) with inclusion
rwatson> of TCP wrappers in standard binaries, including inetd, et al.  Introducing
rwatson> DNS lookups is actually fairly irritating, especially given that most of
rwatson> the checks there are somewhat bogus, as easily spoofed :-).  I don't
rwatson> believe our default wrapper rules should require DNS lookups; it would be
rwatson> nice if they didn't do them.

No.  Default rule of libwrap allows any connections.  I believe this
doesn't do reverse lookup.
It is done by realhostname{,_sa}(3) during login process.

rwatson> Would also be nice if we logged IPs as well as hostnames in wtmp all of
rwatson> the time.

If you intend to obtain hostname, you need reverse lookup. ;-)

ume@mahoroba.org  ume@bisd.hitachi.co.jp  ume@FreeBSD.org
http://www.imasy.org/~ume/