Date:      Sat, 15 Jun 2002 10:08:08 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Jon <cykyc@yahoo.com>
To:        Ilia Chipitsine <ilia@cgu.chel.su>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ipfw: stateful rules & UDP/ICMP

--- Ilia Chipitsine <ilia@cgu.chel.su> wrote:
> Dear Sirs,
>
> do stateful rules have any effect on UDP/ICMP trafic ?

*** This is not an authoritize answer by any means ***

When I was looking into this for ICMP a couple months back w/
probably a 4.5 -S branch, I believe the structure and matching used
didn't take into account the ICMP type and code; iirc, it only
looked at the src_ip, src_port, dst_ip, dst_port, and proto.

This may have changed as of late, but what I observed was that an
ICMP query (ICMP type 8, code 0) would open up traffic for all ICMP
types and codes.  I just created explicit denies for ICMP traffic I
wasn't expecting (inbound timestamp, address mask, echo requests,
etc), and assumed the risk that someone could perform whatever I
didn't deny during the life of the dynamic rule when I sent out an
ICMP packet that passed the ruleset

Someone else on the list may be able to answer this in more detail.
 Also, this phenomenon may only be true for dynamic rules.

FWIW,

Jon