Date:      Fri, 12 Jul 2002 11:15:57 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Doug Bacon <doug@abbnm.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Problems initializing xdm

Can anyone please help me?  I have searched the FreeBSD site and XFree86 site
and have seen others with similar problems, yet no answers that apply to
my situation.

I have just installed the 4.6 FreeBSD-RELEASE from CDROM onto my laptop.
I previously had 4.5 installed, but needed to repartition my drives so I
reformatted and started over.  I installed the full system and sources,
sync'd in my /etc files, ran xf86config to generate a new /etc/X11/XF86Config
file, updated it to work with my laptop's mouse and display resolution, and
successfully initialized the X server using 'startx' (a single Xterm for
the application).  I have a problem with the 'xdm' command which I am
initializing from my /etc/rc.local script (as I did in 4.5).  The following
is the output in the /var/log/xdm-errors file:

XFree86 Version 4.2.0 / X Window System
Release Date: 18 January 2002
    If the server is older than 6-12 months, or if your card is
    newer than the above date, look for a newer version before
    reporting problems.  (See http://www.XFree86.Org/)
Build Operating System: FreeBSD 4.6 i386 [ELF]
Module Loader present
         (++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
(==) Log file: "/var/log/XFree86.0.log", Time: Thu Jul 11 18:04:48 2002
(==) Using config file: "/etc/X11/XF86Config"

 CRTclk
 FPclk
Could not init font path element /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Speedo/, removing from list!
X Error of failed request:  BadDrawable (invalid Pixmap or Window parameter)
  Major opcode of failed request:  14 (X_GetGeometry)
  Resource id in failed request:  0x0
  Serial number of failed request:  59
Could not init font path element /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Speedo/, removing from list!
X Error of failed request:  BadDrawable (invalid Pixmap or Window parameter)
  Major opcode of failed request:  14 (X_GetGeometry)
  Resource id in failed request:  0x0
  Serial number of failed request:  59
X Error of failed request:  BadDrawable (invalid Pixmap or Window parameter)
  Major opcode of failed request:  14 (X_GetGeometry)
  Resource id in failed request:  0x0
  Serial number of failed request:  59
AUDIT: Thu Jul 11 18:05:13 2002: 194 X: client 1 rejected from local host
  Auth name: MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 ID: -1
Xlib: Invalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 key
xdm info (pid 191): Rescanning both config and servers files
xdm error (pid 191): Display :0 is being disabled
Could not init font path element /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Speedo/, removing from list!

As you can see, I am having some sort of authorization problem.  Visually,
I see the X server initialize, the cross hatched background appears with
a large X shaped cusor, and almost immediately the display resets to a
black screen and then after a few moments I see the boot up messages (system
console) and then it appears to retry the X start up again, with the same
result.

I did nothing different from when I ran this under version 4.5 so what the
heck is this MAGIC-COOKIE thing and how can I configure this to authorize
my connection to my local display???  I've noticed that other people have
written in about problems logging in, but I never get the login screen up.

A side note, what's wrong with my Speedo fonts?  The directory and font
files exist.  I've even rerun mkfontdir, but this still fails.

Both of these problems seem to be bugs in the 4.6-RELEASE since I did not
have problems like this before.  Has some new authorization feature been
added to xdm or the X server with this release?  If so, I cannot find any
hints at how to configure this through the man pages or searching the
net.

Thank you for any help you can give,

  Doug

--
Douglas M. Bacon                                               v  ^  ^  v
ABB, Inc.                                                       \ (@@) /