Date:      Sun, 20 May 2007 20:09:19 -0400
From:      "Tamouh H." <hakmi@rogers.com>
To:        "'Ted Mittelstaedt'" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>, "'Kevin Kinsey'" <kdk@daleco.biz>, "'Anton Galitch'" <anton.galitch@gmail.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: just general questions about fbsd

>=20

Not to change this to Windows vs Unix thread. But I think they are two =
different ball games. I work with both servers and have seen =
advantages/disadvantages in both security and non-security related.

The SYSTEM user is considered to be the superuser on Windows. This is =
why many malicious codes that exploit a high risk vulnerability in OS =
automatically grant their application a service or run it as a system =
process.

On the other hand, Windows has the ability to change the administrator =
user or completely disable it. Something not available in Unix systems. =
For example, a cracker or hacker targeting UNIX system will =
automatically try to compromise the "root" user. It is 100% guaranteed =
to be there. On the other hand in Windows, good sys admins will rename =
or complete disable the administrator user hence making it more =
difficult to know the administrator user.

Anyway, this is an opinionated subject. FBSD is great in many aspects. =
We use it because it is freely available, has a great community support, =
doesn't need much rebooting once installed and is fairly quick to =
backup/restore.