Date:      07 Jan 2001 13:45:24 +0100
From:      Norbert Koch <nk@LF.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: usage of "chown"

"Doug Young" <dougy@bryden.apana.org.au> writes:

Hi!

> I'd appreciate advice as to exactly how to use the "chown" command
>
> eg when I go to /usr/home..... what words / symbols / etc do I need
> to type in order to change the ownership of a /<username> directory
> ??

If your username is doug and the directory is named dir, type

chown doug dir

If you want to make that recursively, use the -R option. If you also
want to change the group, say to users, change this into

chown -R doug:users dir

Note, that you must have write-permission on the parent directory, ie
normally you have to be root to perform this action.

norbert.
--
YUGGA-HUGGA-BUGGA-TUGGA!!  HEY-HEY!!  A TRAIN STATION!!  No, a POST
 OFFICE!!  An OCEAN LINER!!  No, I think it's a CAFETERIA!!!