Date:      Thu, 27 May 1999 07:56:17 +0100
From:      Roger Hardiman <roger@cs.strath.ac.uk>
To:        Dean Lombardo <dlombardo@excite.com>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: AverMedia IR Remote news update

Dean

> > AverMedia Intra-Red remote control in the near future.
>
> Cool!  Is the interface similar to / compatible with Hauppauge WinTV's
> infra-red remote, by any chance?

It is completely different.
The Hauppauge IR reciever is actually an i2c device, and very easy to
read from.
The AverMedia one is wired to the GPIO pins. The GPIO pins are general
i/o pins
on the bt848 card (some control the audio mux) and so the AverMedia
remote is
on a mini 'data bus' we have to drive at the bit level manually.

The Hauppauge IR receiver is alreay supported in the Bt848 driver.
It is certainly in 3.2, maybe even in 3.1.
Probed and detected at bootup.

Example code to read it is available from my ftp site
  ftp://telepresence.dmem.strath.ac.uk/pub/bt848

Bye
Roger