Date:      Fri, 22 Mar 2002 15:55:32 +1200
From:      Jonathan Chen <jonc@chen.org.nz>
To:        dfisher <dfisher@vt.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: strange process for root login

On Thu, Mar 21, 2002 at 07:25:15PM -0500, dfisher wrote:
> Hello,
> I happened to log into my machine as root today and run a ps.
> I was just checking so see if I had any run away processes.
> I noticed that my login was shown as "login -p \^[[s".
> The process parent is 1, but it still seems strange.
> I logged in as another user and the process list showed what I would expect
> for that user. (login -p username).
> Does anyone know what might be causing this?

During the login session you happened to hit a function key (F7?), and
it tried using that as your login name. The login failed, you then typed
in "root" and its password and you're now in.

The login process, however, started with the function-key username and
that is what you see when you do a "ps".
--
Jonathan Chen <jonc@chen.org.nz>