Date:      Fri, 14 Dec 2001 06:45:59 -0500
From:      devin-freebsdquestions@rintrah.org
To:        Annelise Anderson <andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Softupdates (was FreeBSD 2.1.5 Installation - Disk Space)

On Thu, Dec 13, 2001 at 02:37:55PM -0800, Annelise Anderson wrote:

> You can mount a file system read-write or read-only.  I think more
> and more there's an interest in mounting /usr read-only; but /var is
> of little use read-only, as this is where (unless you change it) the
> mail spool, printer spool, and log files live.  Also if you want to
> enable softupdates, if you have only / as a file system, I think you
> need to do it on installation (it can be done from sysinstall now)
> or you need to be able to "get to it" while it's not mounted and run
> tunefs on it.  There's more than one way to do that, but I don't
> think there's any convenient way.

I think someone on the list recently posted this trick to enable softupdates
easily on / filesystem.

Edit /etc/rc to include

/sbin/tunefs -n enable /

right before the lines:

set -T
trap "echo 'Reboot interrupted'; exit 1" 3

I liked that so much I thought it bore repeating.

--devin

PS I do agree that multiple partitions are a good idea in general. Sometimes,
especially when one is new to a platform, it's nice to make one large
/ partition to avoid multiple reinstallations until you get the sizing
just right.  But on a production server, you definitely want multiple
partitions if, for nothing else, administrative purposes like you said.