Date:      Wed, 23 Aug 1995 08:47:23 +0300
From:      kallio@jyu.fi (Seppo Kallio)
To:        "Larry Dolinar" <LARRYD@bldg1.croute.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Why freeBSD instead of Linux?

At 14:17 22/8/95, Larry Dolinar wrote:
>|  ** Sorry, I am repeating myself. I understand the nature of FreeBSD, it is
>|  based on free work. BUT I cannot understand how the first answear to my
>|  complaints about fdisk+disklabel+newfs complexity was "it is trivial, it
>|  can be done in 1-2 minutes"! OR I CAN understand it. People who work with
>|  computers a long time loose the feel what is simple and what is not.
>
>I would not dispute it.  But try to keep something in perspective (at
>least in my opinion): Unix in all its various forms is not a trivial OS,
>nor is it for novices.  To me, you must go in with something of an open
>mind.  Setting up a disk subsystem is central to its operation, and how you
>finetune it can have quite an impact on performance.  I question whether
>something as simple as size in megabytes is the end-all to the problem.

Maybe I am not expert on this but: Tell me how you can improve performance
of disk using fdisk ;-) ? Actually you can only move the partition on disk.
That is change the order of DOS/FreeBSD/other partitions. More fine tuning
you do using disklabel and newfs: changing swap location and block sizes.

>...  Or are you just
>impatient to get the thing running so you can start net-surfing with
>something other than MS-Windows-based applications?

I have some Linux and FreeBSD (1+2) systems to manage, I do WWW
co-ordination, help users build Gopher database and WWW pages, help
Macintosh users, keep Mac Net up, help Unix users, help VMS users, try to
manage our workgroup (Unix, VMS, LAN). Yes I am impatient, I have very
limited time for example to add one disk to some system. When I encounter a
software not helping me at all, but giving me wrong info, succesting
impossible parameter values, pushing me to use calculator, read manuals and
find disk parameters ... I am getting very angry and dissapointed. I am
starting to ask why is this program so stupid --- specially if I have seen
a lot of better for same job. It does not calm me down when people reply
"it is trivial" when I know it is not trivial.

>Some of the limitations certainly stem from making Intel-based hardware do
>something it wasn't originally designed to do.

What if the original "Intel-based" tools are better, as here DOS fdisk?

>Your comments seem to suggest that it (FreeBSD) should practically set up
>itself.

I am sure we hope it all !! ;-)

And it does it partially: it has probes on boot etc. (and Linux does it
even better, sorry). I have seen systems where you compile the kernel every
time after you change the hardware.

And Ii can imagine in my wild imagination that when I add one more disk to
the FreeBSD system it could ask me these questions:

You have one unformated disk on SCSI port 4, do you like to set it up? (y/n) Y
Use disk entirely for FreeBSD? (y/n) Y

Will you store many small files to the disk or big files? (s/b) B
I succest block size 4096 (4096) ?
Running fdisk...
Running disklabel...
Running newfs -u 4096 /dev/sd4a
Ready.

> Moreover, you seem to have already convinced yourself that the
>effort is futile, and that Linux is superior.

Linux fdisk is better, probes better.

But I like FreeBSD more. And I liked to see it getting more users. But if
FreeBSD tools make Linux users laugh ...

>Good enough, perhaps your
>question is answered.  I too have spent many years dealing in different
>OS's, but I find it counter-productive to drag preconceived ideas from one
>arena of thought to another.

I do not. All software develepment have one clear common goal: ease of use.

Seppo

--
 +--    Seppo Kallio       -----             kallio@jyu.fi              ---+
 !    Computing Center       !   Fax +358-41-603611 Phone +358-41-603606   !