Date:      Fri, 2 Aug 2002 09:25:19 -0400
From:      Jim Arnold <jarnold@knightridder.com>
To:        Ruben de Groot <fbsd-q@bzerk.org>, Mr Dan Peck <dan037@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: RedHat to FreeBSD Migration

>On Thu, Aug 01, 2002 at 06:38:03PM -0700, Mr Dan Peck typed:
>>  Hello List,
>>
>>  I've been tasked with upgrading a server with
>>  approximately 5,000 users (at a small ISP).  The
>>  current server runs RedHat 6.2, and I would prefer to
>>  run FreeBSD 4.6.1 on the new one, but would need to be
>>  able to copy the password and group files from the
>>  RedHat box as we don't have the resources to re-enter
>>  all of the users by hand.  Any information on
>>  migrating the passwd/and group files would be very
>>  helpful.  I'm not currently subscribed to the list, so
>>  please CC: your responses to me.  Thanks!

On pages 524-525 of FreeBSD Unleashed by Michael Urban
and Brian Tiemann there is perl script to covert a Linux user
database to use in FreebSD.

However, the script does not work. I tried to contact the
authors and even the publisher. The authors never responded
and the publisher said he couldn't get them to respond either.

Maybe you or someone else can use this script as a starting
point to fix it. It's beyond my capabilities.

Jim