Date:      Wed, 18 Jan 2017 00:57:05 -0500
From:      Sergei Akhmatdinov <sakhmatd@riseup.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: issues upgrading from 10.1-RELEASE to 11-RELEASE

--Sig_/ekKRVURu9B0j=iiKcKvR.wx

On Wed, 18 Jan 2017 16:21:54 +1100
Yudi V <yudi.tux@gmail.com> wrote:
> I tried updating from 10.1 to 11-RELEASE, did not go well.
> current system:
> [snip]
> Before I go ahead and replace the base system files, I would like to know
> what went wrong.=20
> because I cloned the OS filesystem, I can go back and re-do it properly if
> the problem was at my end.
> Any suggestions?
> or should I log a PR?

My guess is that your binaries were compiled for 10.X, but 11.0 overwrote t=
he
required shared libraries, so now the old binaries cannot find them.

Do core utilities (ls/cd/man and such) work?

Try upgrading all of your packages after your install the kernel and reboot,
but before you install the world (userland). It doesn't look like you did t=
hat,
judging by your message.

I am not sure that blindly extracting base into your FS would really fix th=
ings.

You *may* be able to get away with fixing pkg and upgrading your system as =
it
is now.
Otherwise, I am certain that rebuilding all installed packages from ports w=
ould
fix things.

Cheers,
--=20
Sergei Akhmatdinov

My GPG public key:
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys AD800D99