Date:      Fri, 15 Sep 2000 17:58:34 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Alexander N. Kabaev" <ak03@gte.com>
To:        Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.ORG, Steve Kargl <sgk@troutmask.apl.washington.edu>, Will Andrews <will@physics.purdue.edu>, Daniel Eischen <eischen@vigrid.com>
Subject:   Re: Rsh/Rlogin/Rcmd & friends

> So what!  That's the price of security.  I believe that the
> telnet/ftp/"r" commands shouldn't even be ports.  We need to make it
> difficult to install unsafe software on the system.  That way the admin
> would have to go to all the trouble to find the source for unsafe
> software somewhere on the Net, port it, and install it.  Then it's not
> FreeBSD's fault if that admin's system is compromised.

Disabling corresponding inetd.conf entries will serve that purpose as well.
Some of us work in places full of Unixes of all kinds and flavours and
out-of-the-box interoperability argument presented by Steve makes a lot of
sense in such an environment.

"Everything is the package" idea is OK as long as we will retain the option of
complete system upgrade using CVS/buildworld path. Forcing users to deal with
every package separately will destroy that fuzzy feeling of completeness and
tightly OS components integration FreeBSD was always famous for and IMHO will
do more damage than good.

Please count my voice as "strongly against" proposed code removal.