Date:      Sat, 31 Jan 2004 12:38:03 -0600
From:      "J.D. Bronson" <jbronson@lonebandit.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   finger information

(I dont run finger to the outside..only within the machine itself).

I am running 4.9 and noticed that finger will not resolve internal IPs whereas
it will resolve external IPs sorta...

For example:

# finger testacct
Login: testacct                         Name: Test Account
Directory: /home/testacct               Shell: /bin/tcsh
On since Sat Jan 31 11:39 (CST) on ttyp0 from 207.227.112.116
No Mail.
No Plan.

..but when 'testacct' logs out, the finger information will then reveal the
NAME of the IP...

# finger testacct
Login: testacct                         Name: Test Account
Directory: /home/testacct               Shell: /bin/tcsh
Last login Sat Jan 31 11:39 (CST) on ttyp1 from karliscool.cyberly
No Mail.
No Plan.

However on internal telnets within the lan, the live and stale finger
information only show the IP...it never resolves.

I run my own DNS and know BIND -very- well. I dont believe that this is a
DNS issue and nslookup on the LAN IPs all resolves forward/reverse just fine.

Any thoughts?

--
J.D. Bronson - "LoneBandit"
Aurora Health Care // Information Services // Milwaukee, WI USA